Re: 19981211: Linux support for netcdf

>To: address@hidden
>From: "WP Gaudin" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Linux support for netcdf

Hi Wayne,

> I am trying to install the netcdf libs on a linux machine.
>
> Unfortunately the install doesn't recognise my system and fails when
> it is looking for the enviroment.

If you want to diagnose the specific problem, please send the
information listed under the "REPORTING PROBLEMS:" section of the
INSTALL file, from the netcdf/src/ directory.  The INSTALL file
contains explicit instructions for building netCDF on various systems,
including RedHat Linux using {cc, fort77} or {gcc, g77}.  See

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL

for the latest version of this file.

> Is there a linux version of netcdf or any easy way to fix my problem?

There's a binary distribution available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/linux_2.0-i586/netcdf-3.4.tar.Z

> I have gcc and vastf90 on my machine which is a Dell Inspiron 3200 and
> I am using Suse as an OS.

We don't have access to a vastf90 compiler, so if you really need the
Fortran interface for that compiler, it may require some trial and
error.  If you don't need the Fortran interface, it's easy to specify
that it not be built from the source.  See the INSTALL file for
instructions on how to do this.

--Russ