Re: thanks for your help....new problem....

Maren,

> Thanks for your prompt response to my previous query....I
> encountered a new problem that you may be able to help with.  I am
> trying to install grdbath.c, from etopo5_gmt.tar.Z...........no
> doubt not updated as recently as netcdf.  I had the same error
> messages while installing GMT, which were remedied by installing GMT
> 3.1.
> mahi 214: make grdbath
>         cc -c -DSYSV -Ac -O -I/data/local/netcdf/include
> -I/data/local/gmt/GMT3.1/src  grdbath.c
> cc: "/data/local/netcdf/include/netcdf.h", line 188: warning 5: "const" will
> become a keyword.
> cc: "/data/local/netcdf/include/netcdf.h", line 188: error 1000: Unexpected
> symbol: "char".
> cc: "/data/local/netcdf/include/netcdf.h", line 191: warning 5: "const" will
> become a keyword.
> cc: "/data/local/netcdf/include/netcdf.h", line 191: error 1000: Unexpected
> symbol: "char".
> cc: "/data/local/netcdf/include/netcdf.h", line 195: warning 5: "const" will
> become a keyword.
> cc: "/data/local/netcdf/include/netcdf.h", line 195: error 1000: Unexpected
> symbol: "char".

Although I know very little about GMT and nothing about where to even
find etopo5_gmt.tar.Z, I think these errors come from using a C
compiler that doesn't understand Standard C.  Although you didn't
state what platform you are using, I assume from the form of the error
messages that it's HPUX.  Try the compile line above using the
standard C compiler in /bin/c89 instead of whatever you are getting by
invoking "cc" and include the flag -D_HPUX_SOURCE to make sure it uses
the standard system includes:

 /bin/c89 -c -D_HPUX_SOURCE -DSYSV -Ac -O -I/data/local/netcdf/include \
          -I/data/local/gmt/GMT3.1/src  grdbath.c

If this compiles OK, then you should invoke "make" in such a way that
it uses this compiler and these flags, e.g.

 make grdbath CC=/bin/c89 CPPFLAGS=-D_HPUX_SOURCE

which might work if the grdbath Makefile is written to use these make
macros rather than just invoking "cc" directly.  If this doesn't work,
I'm afraid you'll have to ask the GMT support people ...

Also, if you send future questions to the address
"address@hidden", they will get routed to someone who can
handle them even if I happen to be on vacation or away from my email.
Thanks.

--Russ