Re: 19981109: netcdf and GMT

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Marta E. Ghidella" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf and GMT

Hi Marta,

> I am trying to install GMT under DOS using WATCOM C compiler.
> I have partly succeeded, but unfortunately I am having problems with the
> .grd files from GMT.
> Apparently the memory allocation fails somehow, and I can't, for
> instance, create a good grd file using "xyz2grd" from GMT.
> The header information is read properly, but not the grid data. There
> seems to be a shift in the memory allocation, as some data come out
> good, but very few, and I haven't been able to find a rule out of this
> to obtain a hint.
> I've explored your web page and it looks like nobody is involved in such
> a task as I am.
> I am using GMT on a SUN normally, but in afew days I'm leaving for
> Antarctica and can't carry the SUN with me, and it is too late for me to
> install and use linux.
> I was encouraged at the beginning because many programs worked properly
> (plotting, for instance), but NOT the grd files.

Sorry, but we don't have WATCOM compilers here or GMT installed on any
DOS systems.

I'm afraid that all I can offer to help is a couple of messages from
people who have succeeded in using WATCOM compilers with netCDF:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdfgroup-list/973
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/1490

describes some Makefiles for netCDF for DOS/WATCOM that are available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/watcom.zip

Another possibility would be to try to link GMT with the binary netcdf
libraries for DOS available from the directory

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/old/msdos/

after looking at the README file there.  But these may not work with
WATCOM.

Another possibility is to post your question to the mailing list
address@hidden or to some GMT users mailing list.  Some
other user out there may have already encountered the problem and solved
it ...

--Russ