Re: 19981106: Y2K Certification of products

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden
>From: Claudia Perot <address@hidden>
>Subject: Y2K Certification of products

Hi Claudia,

> I am gathering information on Y2K compliance of products that
> we use.  The products of yours that we depend on are netCDF
> 3.3 and udunits 1.11.5.  Will these products function normally
> after the century change?  Do you have some sort of document
> in which you certify the products' Y2K compliance?

We now include in our netCDF Frequently Asked Questions list at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html#y2k

    Is netCDF year 2000 compliant?

    All versions and releases of netCDF are year 2000 compliant, because
    none of the netCDF libraries or utilities deal in any special way
    with dates as a data type. If users want to represent date or time
    data in a netCDF file, they may choose their own convention for such
    representation in terms of basic data types such as integers,
    floating point numbers, or character strings. Use of the recommended
    units conventions supported by the udunits library for time assures
    year-2000 compliance, because the udunits package was designed to
    handle arbitrary times.

This answer also indicates that the udunits package is Y2K compliant.
We don't have any kind of certification, however.

> Thank you for your help.

> Claudia Perot
> Y2K Coordinator
> USDA, Natural Resources Conservation Service
> National Water and Climate Center
> 101 S.W. Main St., Suite 1600
> Portland OR   97204

You're welcome.