Re: 19981104: netCDF configure problem

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Thu, 05 Nov 1998 12:00:28 -0700
From:    Russ Rew <address@hidden>
To:      address@hidden (Wei Gong)
Subject: Re: 19981104: netCDF configure problem

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (Wei Gong)

Wei Gong,

> Thank you for the explaination. I do find include/, lib/, bin/ and man/
> are there, which means the netcdf is finished install.
>
> However, I do not know how to "Select and specify an appropriate build
> environment" and "Set the environment variables CPPFLAGS, CC, CFLAGS,
> FC, FFLAGS, CXX, and CXXFLAGS (and perhaps LIBS) to represent that
> environment." Please tell me where or how to put the provided
> environment settings before I do ./configure. This is because when I
> install netcdf to another SUN solaris (use gcc) I met the following
> problems:
>
> ./configure
> checking for m4... m4
> checking for xlc... no
> checking for c89... no
> checking for acc... no
> checking for cc... cc
> checking C compiler... configure: error: cc failed to compile test program

How you set an environment variable on a Unix system depends on which
shell you are using.  If you are using ksh, sh, or bash, just use the
"export" statement, for example:

  $ export CC=gcc
  $ export CPPFLAGS="-DNDEBUG -D__USE_FIXED_PROTOTYPES__"
  $ export CFLAGS=-O
  $ rm config.cache   # necessary if you have run the configure script here
before
  $ ./configure       # run the script

If you are using a shell such as "csh" or "tcsh" to interact with the
system, environment variables are set with the "setenv" command instead,
for example:

  $ setenv CC gcc
  $ setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -D__USE_FIXED_PROTOTYPES__"
  $ setenv CFLAGS -O
  $ rm config.cache   # necessary if you have run the configure script here
before
  $ ./configure       # run the script

- --Russ

------- End of Forwarded Message