Re: UDUNITS: Error building -o32

Rob,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I checked the version of perl that I have and it is version 4.0.  As for
> building the extension module for perl, after reading all the material
> on the unidata page about the decoders I thought I only needed perl if I
> was going to be using the decoders for decoding anything but grib
> files.

That is correct: you only need the UDUNITS extension module for perl
if you intend to decode non-GRIB products.  By default, however, the
UDUNITS package attempts to build the extension module.  This can be
disabled by setting the environment variable "PERL" to the empty string
prior to executing the configure script (and after executing a "make
distclean").

> All I need a decoder for is converting grib data to netcdf
> data.  If I still need an updated version of perl to get this program to
> finally compile I will do so.

It sounds like you don't need the UDUNITS extension module; therefore,
do the following to build the UDUNITS package:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    4.  Set your environment variables as before but do not include the
        string "-o32" in anything.

    5.  Set the CC environment variable.  If you want the "-o32" form of
        object file, then set the environment variable CC to the string
        "cc -o32".  If, however, you want the "-n32" form of object
        file, then set the environment variable CC to just "cc".

    6.  Set the PERL environment variable to the empty string, e.g.

            $ PERL= export PERL

        or

            % setenv PERL ''

    7.  Execute the configure script.  Redirect both standard output and
        standard error to the file "configure.log".  If an error message
        occurs in the output, then stop and send me the file.

    8.  Execute the command "make".  Redirect both standard output and
        standard error to the file "make.log".  If an error occurs, then
        stop and send me the files "make.log and "configure.log".

    9.  Execute the command "make test".  Redirect both standard output
        and standard error to the file "test.log".  If an error occurs,
        then stop and send me the files "test.log", "make.log" and
        "configure.log".

    10. Execute the command "make install".  Redirect both standard
        output and standard error to the file "install.log".  If an
        error occurs, then stop and send me the files "install.log",
        "test.log", "make.log and "configure.log".

    11. Execute the command "make clean".

Please let me know if this helps.

--------