Re: cdfnet (fwd)

> From: Wallace Clark <address@hidden>
> To: Robb Kambic <address@hidden>
> Subject: cdfnet

Hi Wally,

> Steve Kohn of ATD is going to give me exabyte tapes of wind profiler data
> in CDFNET format.  Do you know how I can turn this into ascii or straight
> binary?  Are there routines available?

Robb forwarded your note to me, suspecting that the wind profiler data
is in netCDF format.  The netCDF web site is

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

where you can read the documentation, get the software, or just browse
through answers to the Frequently Asked Questions about netCDF.

You can use the "ncdump" utility to see an ASCII view of the data.  In
particular, "ncdump -h filename" just prints the "header" information,
without any of the data.  Other software is available for displaying or
manipulating data in netCDF form.

If you want to read the data and do something else with it, you'll need
to call routines from the netCDF library.  Interfaces to netCDF data are
available from C, Fortran, C++, perl, and Java.

--Russ