Re: perl

Peggy,

In the above message, you wrote:

> >Try the following:
> >
> >    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.
> >
> >    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".
>
> Done.
>
> >    3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.
>
> It was gone already
>
> >    4.  Set your environment variables as before.
>
> Hmm... Am I supposed to set some environment variables??

Whether or not you set some environment variables depends on whether
you want an optimized version, or a debug version, and the location of
your perl and netCDF packages.  You can often get away with not setting
anything -- but sometimes not.  The relevant environment variables are
listed in the INSTALL file.

> >    5.  Execute the configure script.  Redirect standard output and
> >     standard error to the file "configure.log".  If an error message
> >     occurs in the file, then stop and send the file to me.
>
> configure ran as before
>
> >    6.  Execute the command "make".  Redirect standard output and
> >     standard error to the file "make.log".  If an error occurs, then
> >     stop and send me the file "make.log" and "configure.log".
>
> Same errors:
>
> % make
>
> making `dynamic' in directory /dahl2/netcdf/perl2/netcdf-perl-1.2/src/perl
>
>         /usr/local/bin/perl -I/usr/local/lib/perl5/PA-RISC1.1/5.003
> -I/usr/local/lib/perl5 /usr/local/lib/perl5/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/ExtUtils/typemap NetCDF.xs >NetCDF.tc && mv NetCDF.tc
> NetCDF.c
> Please specify prototyping behavior for NetCDF.xs (see perlxs manual)
>         cc -c -I/dahl2/netcdf/hpux/netcdf-3.4/include -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Aa
> -I/usr/local/include -O     -DVERSION=\"1.2\"  -DXS_VERSION=\"1.2\" +z
> -I/usr/local/lib/perl5/PA-RISC1.1/5.003/CORE  NetCDF.c
> Running Mkbootstrap for NetCDF ()
>         chmod 644 NetCDF.bs
>         LD_RUN_PATH="/dahl2/netcdf/hpux/netcdf-3.4/lib" ld -o
> ./blib/arch/auto/NetCDF/NetCDF.sl -b -L/usr/local/lib NetCDF.o
> -L/dahl2/netcdf/hpux/netcdf-3.4/lib -lnetcdf
> ld: Invalid loader fixup for symbol "$00000003".
> *** Error exit code 1

~!@#$%^!

We no longer have an HP-UX 10.20 system here and It looks like I'll need
one in order to find the problem.  May I use yours?

> I went through the steps twice, but no luck...
>
> One thing occurs to me.  You said in your previous message that
> the binary distribution netCDF libs were not compiled with
> the +z flag.  I'm using those libs.  Do you think this is the
> problem?

This could very well be the problem -- especially since it's the loader
that's complaining.

> So, I tried to build netCDF on my HP, and I got a pile
> of additional errors.  I suppose we'll have to debug those too.

What you mean "we"?   :-)

If you can get me a login to your system, then I'll try installing both
the netCDF and netcdf-perl packages; otherwise, send the stuff from the
netCDF attempt.

--------