Re: 19980914: netCDF

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (Andrew Yool)
>Subject: netCDF

Hi Andrew,

> I was wondering if you could answer a quick question for me.
>
> I'm about to use netCDF format to package up data for part of a
> project I'm involved with.  The project organisers have supplied
> me with some fortran routines to do the actual packaging, but the
> netCDF libraries I have available to me don't seem to contain the
> necessary functions to get these programs running (eg. I'm after
> the likes of nf_put_att_text, nf_clobber, nf_create, nf_def_var).
>
> I've had a poke around your website, but I can't seem to find
> anything which would direct me to a list of the libraries you
> have available.  I was therefore wondering if you could let me
> know where I should look for such object files (assuming that the
> ones I've listed above aren't non-standard ones I'll have to bug
> my project organisers for).

It's possible the netCDF libraries you currently have installed are from
netCDF version 2, which was the only version available before May 1997.
In that version, all Fortran functions and subroutines had short names
like NCAPTC, NCREDF, and NCVDEF.  The current version, netCDF 3.4, still
supports all the old netCDF version 2 interfaces for backward
compatibility, but also includes a new Fortran interface that includes
the functions you name.  The benefits provided by the new netCDF-3
interfaces are described in "Appendix D: NetCDF 2 FORTRAN Transition
Guide" of the "NetCDF User's Guide for FORTRAN", available at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidef/index.html

You can download the current netCDF libraries in either source or binary
form, as explained in the FAQ document at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html#howtoget

Please let us know if you have any more questions.  Thanks for using
netCDF.

--Russ