Re: netCDFPerl installation

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Kevin Fuell wrote:

> > Kevin,
> >
> > Details below...
> >

> > Two things to check,
> >
> > 1) All the perl modules need to be installed in /opt/perl5/lib.  Compare
> > this dir to the other HP perl installation.
> >
> > 2) In the file Makefile.PL add this line after the first line;
> >
> > push( @INC, "/opt/perl5/lib" ) ;
> >

> > This should do help find the ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm  module
> >

> > Robb...
> >

> Robb (and Clark, if your listening),
>
> As to your 1st point, do the perl modules NEED to be installed in /opt
> or MUST they be installed in /opt?  In other words are you saying that
> any piece of software that relies on perl will ONLY look in /opt and
> will bomb otherwise?

Kevin,

It depends on the perl installation and platform.  To check the path,  put
a script in the debugger and print @INC  ie.

 DB<1> p "@INC"
/usr/local/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris/5.004 /usr/local/lib/perl5
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/sun4-solaris /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
.

Most problems with perl modules happens with a perl installation is moved
to another machine incorrectly.  I believe the installation has an option
to create a distribution that can be installed on another machine.

If so then why do I need to tell netcdf-perl-1.2
> what the top source directory of perl is, it should already know?

It could be /opt or /usr/local/bin or etc

Also,
> as you saw in the previous e-mail, I had to put the module in the
> /usr/local/perl5/lib directory.  It wasn't already there.  So are you
> saying that I can just tar the /usr/local/perl5 and untar it in the /opt
> directory and things will be fine?
>
> So I tried to install perl5.004_04 just as I had done on the previous
> installation on my HP.  Something went wrong, but today I've tried
> again to install perl and it seems to have gone fine.  I'll try
> perl-netcdf......HEY it worked.  Let's hope all this install stuff is
> over, geeeezzz!

Correct perl installation solves many problems, that's why UPC doesn't do
binary perl distributions.  Glad your problem was solved.

Robb...