Re: 980728: netCDFPerl installation

Kevin,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I got the patch from HP and applied it.  The exact same error occurs.
>
> When I installed Perl I used these settings:
>
> setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH 'pwd'
>
> to run:
> rm -f config.sh
> sh Configure -Dprefix=/opt/perl
>
> had to answer questions and used:
> Flags for C           -I/user/local/include
> C linker Flags                -L/user/local/lib
> dynamic linker Flags  -L/usser/local/lib
> answered "y" to the question about dynamic linking
>
> then let perl choose the rest of the options (there's alot of them)
>
> continued:
> make
> make test
> make install
>

> When I installed NetCDF 3.4:
>
> set environment:
> CC=/bin/c89
> CPPFLAGS=-D_HPUX_SOURCE
> FC=/opt/fortran/bin/fort77
> FFLAGS=-w
> CXX=/usr/bin/cc
> CFLAGS=+z         <------- This seemed to be the important part so that
>                               the object modules in the netCDF library
>                               are usable by the dynamically-linked
>                               netCDFPerl package.
>
> to run:
> ./configure
> make
> make test
> make install
>

> Do these settings for those programs look good or is there something
> noticably wrong or missing?

The above settings look reasonable.

I suspect that you're running into some sort of 32-bit mode vs. 64-bit
mode incompatibility and that certain compiler or linker options
are inconsistent between building the Perl, netCDF, and netcdf-perl
packages (though I have to admit that I don't see it from the above).
Do you know if the "+z" option was used to compile the perl package?

Also, is your HP-UX system a 32-bit or 64-bit one?

Check your ld(1) manual page.  Does it have options for linking in
32-bit mode vs. 64-bit mode?

--------