Re: 980727: configure failure after checking for fort77

Clark,

In the above message, you wrote:

> uname -a
> HP-UX spock B.10.20 A 9000/755 2002321841 two-user license
>
> > Interesting.  I believe you did the right thing (I assume it built OK
> > after setting FFLAGS to "-O2" -- please tell me if it didn't).
>
> I thought that it would too since I had installed it some time ago and
> didn't remember the details.  After trying make, however, it all came
> back to me:  the make of nc.c complained about EEXIST and posixio.c
> complained about a bunch of stuff.  The last time I installed it to
> get the netcdf-perl decoders working, I recall giving up after a couple
> of hours and compiling the thing on a host running HPUX9.05 ( I should
> probably mention that I'm using HP's compilers that they offered for free
> with HPUX10.2 - the ones that came with the transition toolkit.  Perhaps
> they need a patch?  Shrug...)
>
> Today, I got around the nc.c problem by putting '#define
> _INCLUDE_POSIX_SOURCE'
> and '#undef _INCLUDE_POSIX_SOURCE' around the '#include errno.h' lines.
> That got me past nc.c.  Now, I'm working on posixio.c.  There seems to
> be a catch 22 at work here.  If I compile w/ c89 and don't '#define
> _INCLUDE_POSIX_SOURCE, errno.h bypasses '#define EEXIST'.  If I compile
> w/ cc -Aa, I get pretty much the same thing.  On the other hand, if I
> '#define _INCLUDE_POSIX_SOURCE' in ncconfig.h, types.h messes up because
> off_t doesn't get defined(?).  Right now, I'm past nc.c and trying the
> '#define/#undef _INCLUDE_POSIX_SOURCE' trick around the '#include <errno.h>'
> in posixio.c and I'm getting:
>
> cc: "posixio.c", line 105: error 1574: Unknown size for "sb".
> cc: "posixio.c", line 108: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
> cc: "posixio.c", line 108: error 1563: Expression in if must be scalar.
> cc: "posixio.c", line 750: error 1588: "O_RDWR" undefined.
> cc: "posixio.c", line 750: error 1588: "O_CREAT" undefined.
> cc: "posixio.c", line 750: error 1588: "O_TRUNC" undefined.
> cc: "posixio.c", line 767: error 1588: "O_EXCL" undefined.
> cc: "posixio.c", line 843: error 1588: "O_RDWR" undefined.
> cc: "posixio.c", line 843: error 1588: "O_RDONLY" undefined.
> *** Error exit code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error exit code 1
>
> That's a lot better than it was, but I suspect a similar problem is
> occuring in stat.h and fcntl.h(?).  I'll play around with it tomorrow
> and let you know how it goes.  I've already got the stuff installed,
> so it's no big deal.  I recently modified the metar2nc and ua2nc decoders
> to work with laps and someone else is trying to install them.  I thought
> I'd see what he was going to run into.

You might try the settings recommended in the INSTALL file for HP-UX
B10.20 systems:

    CC=c89
    CPPFLAGS="-D_HPUX_SOURCE -DNDEBUG"
    CFLAGS=-O
    FC=fort77
    FFLAGS="-O3 -w"
    CXX=CC

They worked for us.

To use the above, do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory,

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    4.  Set the above environment variables.

    5.  Execute the "configure" script.  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "configure.log".  If an error message
        occurs in the output, then stop and send me the files
        "configure.log" and "config.log".

    6.  Execute the command "make".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "make.log".  If an error occurs,
        then stop and send me the files "make.log" and "configure.log".

    7.  Execute the command "make test".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "test.log".  If an error occurs,
        then stop and send me the files "test.log", "make.log" and
        "configure.log".

    8.  Execute the command "make install".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "install.log".  If an error occurs,
        then stop and send me the files "install.log", "test.log",
        "make.log" and "configure.log".

Please let me know if this helps.

--------