19980713: NCEP/NCAR reanallysis support

>From: "Jose Luis Ibarrola" <address@hidden>

>Dear Sir
>            I would like to know about the netCDF files.
>            I want to read the ¨NCEP/NCAR reanalysis comprehensive output
>variables¨ ie: standard GRID output as geopotencial height or wind or
>temperature at 17 levels.
>            I already know that they are in netCDF format.
>            I was looking around and I couldn' t find the appropiate
>fortran77 source
>code to read them in an IBM RS 6000 /AIX  3.2.5 or  in a PC Windows 95
>            I need to know what kind of software I could use to visualize
>and convert
>in ASCII code the netCDF files
>            I will appreciatte your help thank you very much
>
>PD: If you know an alternative format please letme know.
>
>                                                              SEGURA, Maria
>Elena

The CDC maintains information on how to read their NetCDF reanalysis files at:
http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/PublicData/read-our-files.html

They list several software packages for reading and plotting the files,
including Grads, Feret, and IDL. There is also a fortran77 source
for the starting point to read the files.

Unidata maintains the NetCDF libraries which you can use with your
fortran77 programs for reading the data. Our NetCDF library distribution
can be found on our anonymous ftp server at ftp.unidata.ucar.edu, under
pub/netcdf.

Steve CHiswell