Re: configure problem

William,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Hi again,
>       Sorry for bothering you again, but seems like you are the only
> person who is responding me from the mailing list.  Anyway, you said that
> I can ignore the warning messages when I do "make distclean", right?
> Well, after I did that, I edited macros.make.def as follow:

Don't do that!  You shouldn't edit any file; the configure script will
determine the correct format for the makefiles based on your system and
the value of certain environment variables.

Do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Undo your edits.

    3.  Execute the command "make distclean".  Don't worry if it fails
        or even fails to execute.

    4.  Remove the file config.cache if it exists.

    5.  Set your environment variables according to the instuctions in
        the INSTALL file.

    6.  Set th environment variable FC to the empty string.

    7.  Execute the configure script.  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "configure.log".  If an error
        message occurs in the output, then stop and send me the file
        "configure.log" and the file "config.log".

    8.  Execute the command "make".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "make.log".  If an error message
        occurs in the output, then stop and send me the file "make.log".

    9.  Execute the command "make test".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "test.log".  If an error message
        occurs in the output, then stop and send me the file "test.log".

    10. Execute the command "make install".  Redirect standard output
        and standard error to the file "install.log".  If an error
        message occurs in the output, then stop and send me the file
        "install.log".

    11. Execute the command "make clean".

Incidentally, what is the output from the command "uname -a"?

> (This is just part of it)
> # Preprocessing:
> M4              = m4
> M4FLAGS         = -B10000
> CPP             = c89 -E
> CPPFLAGS        = $(INCLUDES) $(DEFINES) @CPPFLAGS@
> FPP             = export FPP
> FPPFLAGS        = $(CPPFLAGS)
> CXXCPPFLAGS     = $(CPPFLAGS)
>

> # Compilation:
> CC              = /usr/bin/cc
> CXX             = /usr/bin/c++
> FC              = export FC
> CFLAGS          = -g
> CXXFLAGS        = $(CFLAGS) @CXXFLAGS@
> FFLAGS          =
> CC_MAKEDEPEND   = :
> COMPILE.c       = $(CC) -c $(CFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS)
> COMPILE.cxx     = $(CXX) -c $(CXXFLAGS) $(CXXCPPFLAGS)
> COMPILE.f       = $(FC) -c $(FFLAGS)

> Then I ran the given configure script and got the following error message:
> (the message is at the end)
> checking for m4... m4
> checking for xlc... no
> checking for c89... no
> checking for acc... no
> checking for cc... cc
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... false
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for c++... c++
> checking C++ compiler "c++"... works
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for f77... no
> checking for fort77... no
> checking for g77... no
> configure: warning: Could not find working Fortran compiler
> configure: warning: Setting FC to the empty string
> configure: warning: The Fortran interface will not be built
> checking for Fortran .F compiler...
> checking for Fortran preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for math library
> checking for -lc... no
> checking for -lm... no
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking for stdlib.h... no
> checking for sys/types.h... no
> checking for strerror... no
> checking whether cross-compiling... yes
> checking for working ftruncate()... configure: error: can not run test
> program while cross compiling

> For each of the above that says "no", does it means that the computer
> can't find it or does it mean no problem?

It means that the configure script was unable to find the indicated
entity.

> And at the very end it says
> that it is cross-compiling, what does that mean?

It means that a simple compile failed.  The reason will be in the file
"config.log".

> Then when I did "make",
> I got the same warning messages as before (from make distclean).  What is
> wrong with all these errors?  I thought installing netcdf should be very
> straigh forward.

Try the above steps.  Let me know what you encounter.

--------