Re: 980422: test01.nc just keeps on growing

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Louise C. Martin" <address@hidden>
>Subject: test01.nc just keeps on growing

Hi Louise,

>   I have been trying to install netcdf-3.3.1 and get the same, or at
> least a similar, problem as reported by David Aubert in #970721 in the e-mail
> support archive -
>
>    my /ncdump/test01.nc file keeps on growing!
>
> I have set my CC enviroment variable to be
>
>    CC = gcc -D__USE_FIXED_PROTOTYPES
>
> and tested this with the small c program included in your answer to Dr.
> Aubert and got the proper string to double conversion (2 -> 2).  You may
> notice that I don't make any "fortran" code, I was trying to bypass some
> fortran errors as I would be happy to have just the c interface.  This same
> test01.nc error occurs when I make the fortran code, but you wouldn't get
> to see it in make_test.out and  net.error5 as the make test would crash
> in the fortran test first (net.error5 is the actual error message which I
> get which i could not capture when I typed "make test >> make_test.out).

From what you sent me, the problem appears to be a typo.  I think you
actually set the environment variable

    CC = gcc -D__USE__FIXED_PROTOTYPES__

instead of

    CC = gcc -D__USE_FIXED_PROTOTYPES__

before you ran configure, and the extra "_" caused the needed macro to
not be defined, so you continue to see the problem as if strtod was not
declared.

I suggest you try building netCDF 3.3.1 again, after removing
config.cache, invoking "make clean", and carefully setting CC to the
exact string "gcc -D__USE_FIXED_PROTOTYPES__" before invoking the
"configure" script, "make all", and "make test".  If you still have
problems, please let us know.  Alternatively, you could set the
environment variable CPPFLAGS to "-D__USE_FIXED_PROTOTYPES__", and CC to
"gcc" and get the same effect, as explained at

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/known_problems_331.html#gcc-sunos4

In any case, thanks for using our support search engine to research the
problem before presenting the symptoms!

--Russ