Re: 980330: netCDFPerl and CGI security

Leonard,

In the above message, you wrote:

> |> Did you have anything in particular in mind?
>
> Just the usual buffer overruns or other exploits which could be used
> to read/write system files.  That sort of thing.

Well, I can't guarantee that there aren't any buffer overrun problems --
but my programming style is to never get into a position where a buffer
overrun could occur (this is based on years of experience) so I'd be
very surprised if that could happen.

> There certainly
> is security built into the configuration of the web server, what files
> it can access, and what CGI scripts can do.  I suppose the biggest
> worry would be that a CGI could be made to rewrite the web server
> permissions configuration file.

I don't see how that could be done using NetCDFPerl.

--------