Re: 980326: Compatibility of New Win32 NetCDF with MS Fortran

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: "Robert J. Kares" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Compatibility of New Win32 NetCDF with MS Fortran

Hi Bob,

> I recently downloaded the new Win32 library for
> Version 3.4 and the README documents indicate
> that it is compatible with Visual C++ 5.0 and
> Visual Fortran 5.0 . It does indeed work just fine
> with Visual Fortran 5.0 and includes the Fortran
> jackets for the library functions in netcdf.lib to boot.
>
> My question is: can this same library be linked
> against code compiled with the Microsoft Fortran
> Powerstation 4.0 product? Up to recently I have
> been using the MS Fortran product with the
> older version of the Win32 NetCDF lib which required
> seperate interface blocks and a jacket.c file.
>
> Can I now just use the new library with MS Fortran 4.0
> or is there some restriction to Visual Fortran 5.0 ?

Sorry, but we don't know whether it will work with MS Fortran 4.0, and
we can't easily test it, because we don't have access to a platform on
which MS Fortran 4.0 is installed.  There was no restriction to Visual
Fortran 5.0 intended, but that's all we had available to build and test
it with.

If you test it and find out that it does work, we'd be interested in
hearing about it.  You could test the netCDF-2 Fortran interface by
getting the source distribution and linking and running the "ftest"
program from the netcdf-3.4/src/fortran/ directory.

--Russ