Re: 980324: olaris disks

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden,
>cc: address@hidden
>From: John Keck <address@hidden>
>Subject: solaris disks
>
> Hi, I'm wondering if you can help me with a problem I'm encountering
> with netCDF data stored on Solaris hard drives.
>
> We've a number of Sun workstations.  Most run SunOS, but we have just
> acquired some that run Solaris.  We have a number of netCDF data
> pipeline tools that have run fine under SunOS for years.  These tools do
> not always work on some recent data.  Tools work fine on data stored on
> hard drives mounted on the SunOS machines, but not on the data stored on
> drives mounted on the Solaris machines (same data): the error indicates
> that the pipeline tools cannot find a variable that is clearly stored in
> the data files.
>
> I'm wondering if the SunOS problem with accessing large partitions is
> the culprit.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem before?
> What can we do about it?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>

>                                       John Keck

John:

There are lot of possiblities here, and I'm afraid you haven't given
us enough information to help you diagnose the problem.

As I understand it, you have two systems, one which is "SunOS" and one
which is "Solaris". What versions? Use the unix command 'uname -a' to
tell us what the OS release is and so on.

You mention 'tools' misbehaving with netcdf data residing on the
drives mounted on the Solaris machine, and that they are the "same data".
How did the netcdf files get to the Solaris machine? ftp? NFS copy?
Can you verify that the files were not corrupted in transport?
There are a number of ways to do this. Unix 'cmp' will work if both filesystems
are available. Or you can compute a checksum on each system and compare the
checksums. Use /usr/bsd/sum on Solaris to compare to /bin/sum on SunOS,
OR, if the system 5 compatibility stuff is installed on SunOS, you can use
/bin/sum on Solaris to compare to /usr/5bin/sum on SunOS.

Once you've verified that the files are really the same, suspicion turns to
the executable. Are the tools built for the OS? (Or were they just copied,
without recompilation, from SunOS?)
Which version of the netcdf library is in use?

We mostly SunOS 5.6 (Solaris) machines here, with a couple of SunOS 4.1.4
machines for testing. We don't see the problem you report.
I know we have installed number of patches to SunOS 4 and various versions of
SunOS 5, and some of those have to do with NFS problems which might account
for the sort of thing you are seeing.

-glenn