Re: 980306: compile problem

>To: address@hidden
>From: Brian Rizzo <address@hidden>
>Subject: compile problem

Hi Brian,

> I am new to netcdf.  Platform is PC under NT.  I have retreived netcdf files
> and unzipped them.  Also retreived NT make file routines and unzipped them
> into appropriate dir.  Using MS visual C ver. 5 to compile but will be using
> fortran in my actual work.  I ran nmake (C version) and was successful.  I
> then went into the fortran dir and did the same (nmake /f msoft.mak, again
> using C nmake command).  Again successful.  I then repeated the nmake with
> 'nmake / f msoft.mak test'.  process failed due to the following
>    df /c /nologo /Zi /Od ftest.for
> the command 'df' is not recognized as an internal or external command.
>
> If, as I assume, df is a unix command can you tell me what the equivalent
> command is under NT.  If you cannot help can point me to someone who could.

Good guess (there is an unrelated Unix command named "df" to report the
number of free disk blocks), but in this case "df" stands for Digital
Fortran, the name of a Fortran compiler designed for use with the MS
Visual C development environment (Microsoft no longer sells a Fortran
compiler).  In the msoft.mak file you are using, there is a macro
definition

  FOR=df

that specifies which Fortran compiler to use.  If you have a different
Fortran compiler, edit this definition to specify yours, then try
running "nmake /f msoft.mak test" again.

--Russ