Re: 980224: netCDF installation

>From: Kurt Hanson <address@hidden>
>Subject: installation

Hi Kurt,

> Hi -- I'm trying to use netCDF with GMT (Generic Mapping Tools).
> GMT's Makefile expects netCDF directories "lib" and "include".
> The installation of netCDF v3.3.1 we have already does not have
> these directories.  Can you tell me what the netCDF directory structure
> should be after installation?  Were "lib" and "include" directories
> perhaps used with an old version of netCDF?

If you run "make install" as the final step to installing netCDF v3.3.1,
the "lib", "include", "man", and "bin" directories for netCDF are
created and populated with the libraries, include files, man-page
documentation, and utilities for netCDF.  The directory in which these
installation directories are created is specified using the --prefix
argument to the "configure" script that you must run as the first step
of installation, before running "make all", "make test", and "make
install".  See the src/INSTALL file in the netCDF 3.3.1 source
distribution for more detailed instructions.

Or, if you just want to install a binary distribution without compiling
the source, you can look in

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/

where a pre-compiled installation is available for your platform in the
sunos_5.6-sparc/ subdirectory.

> I want to put netCDF on my machine:
> SunOS tinker 5.6 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
>
> It was originally installed on a different one:
> SunOS wacko 5.5 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20
>
> And I was just hoping to copy the installation over to mine.

That should work also.

> If I need to re-install netCDF on my machine, please read on...
> In trying to install it, the ./configure run hangs at the FORTRAN check.
>
> By hang I mean it just gets stuck and does not return a prompt or
> error message.  "f77" does sit on another machine.  Is this a problem?
>
> tink> ./configure
> checking for m4... (cached) m4
> checking user-defined C compiler "/usr/local/bin/gcc"
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... cc -xM
> checking for /usr/local/bin/gcc... (cached) gcc
> checking C++ compiler "gcc"... works
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) /usr/local/bin/gcc -E
>
> checking user-defined FORTRAN compiler
> "/net/bullwinkle/bul2/local/SUNspro/bin/f77"...

This sounds like an NFS problem rather than a netCDF problem.

> Thanks
>
> Kurt Hanson
> address@hidden

You're welcome, I hope this helps.