Re: 980212: netCDF 3.4a

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Larry A. Schoof" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF 3.4a

Hi Larry,

> When do you expect to make 3.4a the official released version?

Soon, I hope.  The only remaining task is to implement some Fortran
interfaces corresponding to the new C tuning interfaces nc__create,
nc__open, and nc__enddef.  These "double-underbar interfaces" permit
supplying hints about suitable chunk sizes and alignment for I/O that
can make dramatic performance differences, in some cases, but no one who
is not worried about performance needs to know about them.

We have no other changes planned for version 3.4, except possibly for
fixes that may be needed to address any unanticipated problems
encountered in testing on numerous platforms before the official
release.  If you can get along without the Fortran double-underbar
interfaces and the 3.4a version passes "make test" testing on the
platforms in which you're interested, you can just use 3.4a.

--Russ