Re: 980202: Troubling for installing netCDF

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (root)
>Subject: Troubling for installing netCDF

Hi Yang-ho,

> Dear whomever concerned with subject.
> This is Yang-ho, Choi at Chungnam National Univ., Taejon, South Korea.
> In installing netCDF i have received following ERROR messages, but i don't
> rearly know how to follow up it.
> I would appreciate receive your useful answers ASAP.

> For ERROR messages:
> making `install' in directory /usr1/gmt/netcdf/fortran
>
>         /sbin/install -c -m 664 netcdf.inc /usr1/gmt/include/netcdf.inc
> /sbin/install: illegal option -c.
> usage: /sbin/install [-m mode] [-u owner] [-g group] [-idb attribute] [-new]
>         [-o] [-O] [-rawidb idbpath] [-root rootpath] [-s] [-t] [-v]
>         optionally, one of [-blk maj,min[,off]] [-chr maj,min[,off]] [-dir]
>                            [-fifo] [-ln path] [-lns path] [-src path]
>         one of [-f dir] [-F dir]        (mandatory unless -dir is used)
>         file1 file2 ... fileN           (pathnames of files to install)
> *** Error code 255 (bu21)

It looks like you may be trying to install an older version of netCDF
(2.3.2pl2?) on an IRIX platform.  Try overriding the INSTALL definition
that configure produces by either defining INSTALL in the CUSTOMIZE file
or as an environment variable before running `configure' or in the
config.status script produced by `configure'.  INSTALL should be defined
as

        /usr/bin/X11/bsdinst

which, according to the IRIX man pages is an install that understands
the "-c" option.  If you want to try this, remember to "make clean" and
remove the file "config.status" before trying to rebuild netCDF.

Alternatively, you could get a more recent version of netCDF that
doesn't have this problem and install it instead.  The latest released
version (3.3.1) is available from

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

but the problem is also fixed in a previous release available at

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-2.4.3.tar.Z