19980114: netCDF 3.3.1 on NT with MS Fortran 5.1

>From: annamaria cranchi <address@hidden>

Cranchi,

>how you suggested (199712052049.NAA21432netCDF3.3.1),  we downloaded from
>ftp site: netcdf.tar.Z and contrib/win32/maks.zip to build netcdf-3.3.1
>in winnt.

Yes, the WWW homepage FAQ that pertains to support of netCDF on Windows
95 and NT notes:

"Is netCDF available for Windows 95 or Windows NT?

Yes, several users have contributed portions of the port, and we have
provided Makefiles as well as Fortran support. If you wish to build
from source on a Win32 platform, obtain
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/maks.zip, unpack
it, and read WIN32_INSTALL.  See the README for more information.

Also, a pre-compiled netCDF 3.3 for GNU Win32 that includes a port of udunits
is available from ftp://niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32/unidata/netcdf. A
README describing this version is also available."

>Unfortunately we don't have Microsoft Visual C++ or Digital Visual Fortran 5.0.
>Whereas we use Microsoft Fortran 5.1, on the following platforms win 3.11, win
>95, and winnt.
>Can we make netCDF run, with this software?

It sounds like you do not have a C compiler.  Is this true?  If not,
then using 3.3 will be problematic for you.  You might have to
investigate using netCDF 2.x instead of netCDF 3.x.  For the long term,
however, this will be counterproductive as we are moving ahead with the
enhancements we introduced in 3.3 and will sunset support for 2.x in
the indeterminant future.

If your aim is to build 16 bit modules under Windows 3.11 and then use
them on the other platforms, then you may be totally out of luck with
netCDF 3.3, since we have done no checking to see that 3.3 works with
16 bit Windows.

How?

If you have a C compiler and if you are up for a challange, then you
could try to make modifications that would enable the use of your
Fortran compiler.  We can't assure you, however, that this effort would
be successful It would be much easier for you to upgrade your compilers
to the versions that are known to work with netCDF 3.3.  Our experience
is that the people time involved in retrofitting code to old compilers
is much more expensive than the cost of the new compilers.

>Thank you for the help !

Sorry I don't have more encouraging news for you.

>Regards
>Cranchi Annamaria
>Via Valassina 88
>22021 BELLAGIO (CO)