971120: Installing decoder.tar.gz

>From: BEAUBOUCHER Nathalie <address@hidden>

Nathalie,

>I've dowload decoders.tar.Z from
>ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/decoders/
>I'd follow the instructions for installing the software.
>./configure is correct (I Hope the directories for includes
>and librairies are corrects).
>
>During the make, all the compilations of C files are correct.
>All the files .o are created.
>However, there is an error during the link edition :
>cc -g emalloc.o ....units.o -L/usr/local/netcdf/src/libsrc
>-L/usr/local/udunits/lib -ln -o gribtonc
>
>After this line I have a lot of undefined references, for example :
>nc.o : in function 'newdim' : /usr/local/decoders/gribtonc/nc.c:101:
>undefined reference to 'ncdiminq'

This shows that the netCDF library is not properly being searched.

>And there is about 15 lines like in programs : ncfloat.o, nuwg.o,
>recs.o and units.o.
>At the end, I have the messages :
>make[1]:***[gribtonc] Error 1
>make[1]:Leaving directory 'usr/local/decoders'
>make:***[gribtonc/all]Error 1

I suspect that your reference to the netCDF library given during the
configure phase is incorrect.

>I guess there is an error in defining the directories for the
>librairies, but I can't see where.
>Do you think it's a library problem ??

I think the problem lies in how the netCDF library reference was phrased.

>I've verifed the path for them but may there is an error
>in defining them during the ./configure :
>The answer I gived was : -L/usr/localnetcdf/src/libsrc and
>-L/usr/local/gmt/unidata/lib and -L/usr/local/udunits/lib
>
>Is this syntax correct ??

They should be:

"-L/usr/localnetcdf/src/libsrc -lnetcdf"
"-L-L/usr/local/udunits/lib -ludunits"

>I am not sure because during the
>./configure, the suggestion is -L/usr.... -lnetcdf
>I don't know the signification of -lnetcdf.

-lnetcdf is the reference to the netCDF library.  The '-L' tells the linker
about a directory to search; the '-lnetcdf' tells the linker about the library
to search.

>Thanks for your help,
>Nathalie Beauboucher,
>Laboratoire de glaciologie