971111: configure scripts thinks it's cross_compiling

Ladean,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Steve -
>
> The copy of config.log that I sent earlier included the entire file.

It's way too short.

> I don't have any idea what may have cut it short.
>
> The only other information is a set of messages that I assume are from
> the make program that executes the configure script

Whoaa!  There is no "make" program that executes the configure script.
The configure script is executed in a subshell at your request.  To
execute the configure script, you should have entered something like one
of the following (depending on your shell):

    sh:
        ./configure >configure.log 2>&1

    csh:
        ./configure >&!configure.log

One thing: do *not* redirect output to the file "config.log" because
that file is created and managed by the configure script itself.

> though some appear
> to be output from the configure script itself:

> > checking for catman... no
> > checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> > checking the installation prefix... /home/wings/u0/FEM_etc/SEAMS
> > checking the installation exec-prefix... /home/wings/u0/FEM_etc/SEAMS
> > checking for c89... c89
> > checking type of operating system... aix
> > checking type of machine... rs6000
> > checking for ranlib... ranlib
> > checking how to run the C preprocessor... c89 -E
> > checking the C preprocessor... works
> > checking for f77... f77
> > checking for C++ compiler...
> > checking for yacc... yacc
> > checking for neqn... neqn
> > checking for tbl... tbl
> > checking for ar... ar
> > checking for makeinfo... no
> > checking for tar flags... -chf
> > checking for dependency generation mechanism... c89 -M
> > checking whether cross-compiling... yes
> > checking size of int...
>
> Should I try to execute configure in a stand alone mode?

Yes.  Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    3.  Set your environment variables.

    4.  Execute the configure script using the appropriate command I
        gave above.

    5.  Send me the files "configure.log" and "config.log".

> Is there a chance that the compiler options are not appropriate for
> the present AIX c-compiler (v3.1)?

It's possible, but we need the complete "config.log" file to find out.

--------