971105: building under HP-UX A.09.03 using /usr/softbench/bin/c89

Dear Elke,

In the above message, you wrote:

>  Dear Steve,
>
> I still install the package at our apollo1:
> HP-UX apollo1 A.09.03 E 9000/755 2011717508 8-user license
> As before I used the given environment of the installscript
> with added "-DhpuxFortran" to the CPPFLAGS environment variable.
> But c89 and f77 are in the directory /usr/softbench/bin/,
> so that I slightly modified the environmental variables CC and FC.
>
> Because you wrote, that
> > The output from the configure script looks OK *providing* there
> > were no messages written to standard error.
> >
> (There was no standard error)
> I didn't append it as well as the file "config.log" again.
>
> Last time I sent you the output of the command "make"...
>
>                       *
>                       *
>                       *
>
> Making `all' in directory /users2/ap1/kd005/netCDF/netcdf-3.3.1/src/cxx
>
>       /usr/softbench/bin/cc -c -O  -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG -DhpuxFortran
> netcdf.cc
>       /usr/softbench/bin/cc -c -O  -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG -DhpuxFortran
> ncvalues.cc
>       ar cru   libnetcdf_c++.a netcdf.o ncvalues.o
>       ranlib libnetcdf_c++.a
>       /usr/softbench/bin/cc -c -O  -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG -DhpuxFortran
> nctst.cc
>       /usr/softbench/bin/cc -o nctst -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG -DhpuxFortran -O
> nctst.o libnetcdf_c++.a -L../libsrc -lnetcdf
> *** Error code 1
> *** Error code 1
> *** Error code 1
>
> cc: "/usr/ccs/bin/yaccpar", line 5: warning 21: Undefined pragma "IDENT"
> ignored
> .
> ar: netcdf.o cannot open
> ar: ncvalues.o cannot open
> /bin/ld: Can't open nctst.o
> /bin/ld: No such file or directory
>
> Stop.
>
> Stop.
>
> Stop.
>

> you gave me the following hint:
> >
> > It appears from the above that the files "netcdf.o" and "ncvalues.o" in
> > the "cxx/" subdirectory were not created.  Do they exist?  If you go
> > into that subdirectory can you manually create them (either by manually
> > entering the above compilation commands or by using "make)?  Do you have
> > write access to that subdirectory?  Is the disk full?
> >
> The files *.o didn't exist. So I tryed to create them manually. It didn't
> work, because the compiler couldn't find the header files iostream.h and
> generic.

A compiler should always be able to locate its own header files.
Sounds like your compiler installation is broken.

> As I appended the right include directory to the compilation
> commands, the *.o files were created. Then I executed the "ar" - command,
> what worked successfully, too. But after that I got the following:
>
> (I got it twice,first by going on manually, then after make distclean,
> but saved *.o of directory ../cxx)
>
> Making `all' in directory /users2/ap1/kd005/netCDF/netcdf-3.3.1/src/cxx
>
>       ar cru   libnetcdf_c++.a netcdf.o ncvalues.o
>       ranlib libnetcdf_c++.a
>       /usr/softbench/bin/cc -o nctst -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG -DhpuxFortran -O
> nctst.o libnetcdf_c++.a -L../libsrc -lnetcdf
> /bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
>    _$_7ostream (code)
>    _$_18ostream_withassign (code)
>    _$_12strstreambuf (code)
>    __builtin_delete (code)
>    cout (data)
>    pbackfail__9streambufi (code)
>    __builtin_new (code)
>    _$_19iostream_withassign (code)
>    _$_7istream (code)
>    doallocate__12strstreambuf (code)
>    ls_complicated__7ostreamUc (code)
>    xsgetn__9streambufPci (code)
>    sync__9streambuf (code)
>    _$_13Iostream_init (code)
>    precision__3iosi (code)
>    __ls__7ostreaml (code)
>    __ls__7ostreami (code)
>    __ls__7ostreamd (code)
>    seekoff__12strstreambuflQ23ios8seek_diri (code)
>    __ls__7ostreamf (code)
>    _$_8iostream (code)
>    setbuf__12strstreambufPci (code)
>    cerr (data)
>    underflow__12strstreambuf (code)
>    __10ostrstreamiPcii (code)
>    _$_10istrstream (code)
>    _$_10ostrstream (code)
>    ends__FR7ostream (code)
>    endl__FR7ostream (code)
>    __13Iostream_init (code)
>    __main (code)
>    overflow__12strstreambufi (code)
>    ls_complicated__7ostreamc (code)
>    _$_13strstreambase (code)
>    flags__3iosl (code)
>    _$_9strstream (code)
>    seekpos__9streambufli (code)
>    __ls__7ostreamPCc (code)
>    xsputn__9streambufPCci (code)
>    _$_18istream_withassign (code)
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.

The above indicates that the C++ compiler couldn't locate its own
runtime library.  This is further evidence that your compiler
installation is broken.

I suggest locating the C++ runtime library and manually editing the file
cxx/Makefile.  Add a reference to the runtime library in the rule for
building the "nctst" program.

--------