Re: 971028: ATTN: Russ Rew

>To: address@hidden
>From: Joseph Levy <address@hidden>
>Subject: ATTN: Russ Rew
>
> Russ-
>
>       Hi!  This is Joe again from the Univ. of Denver.  Sorry to bother
> you more about the netcdf matter.  I have downloaded the netcdf library
> and all the .dll files to go with it.  I looked at the .h file and it is
> the exact same as the one I'm familiar with so I'm assuming this is the
> library file I'm looking for.  The file I have is "netcdf3_.zip" for
> windows 95.  I've read the file "readmeWin32dll.txt" and here is what it
> says:
>       "To recompile the code on your own system, select File / Open
Workspace,
> choose *.mak, double click on netcdf.mak, then build netcdf.dll.  The
> resulting dll will be in the debug subdirectory.  Or you can build the
> release version and find it in the release subdirectory."
>
>       Now here are my questions:
>
>       -To make sure. . . do I need to recompile on my own system?

If you've got a .dll and the matching include file,
you should not need to recompile the dll file. Of course,
you may need to compile your application using the include file
and referencing the dll.

>       -I'm don't know what is meant by "select File / Open Workspace,
>               choose *.mak".

This would be from inside of the Visual Builder integrated development
environment. You would be using this to recompile.

> So I double clicked on netcdf.mak from
>               windows explorer/file manager and it opens up a wordpad file.
>               Is that what is supposed to happen?

All this means is that "explorer/file manager" doesn't have a registration
for *.mak extensions, so its using the default application, a text editor.
As I said above, the build instructions are relative to the Visual Builder
environment.

>       -It says the resulting .dll will be in the debug folder.  There
>               is a .dll file in my debug folder--what do I do with it?
>       -Also in the debug folder is the .lib file--what do I do with that?
>
> As you may or may not know, my problem is not with compiling my code; the
> problem arises when "linking" the code.

When you link an application, you have a choice: dynamic or static.

For dynamic linking, the DLL file has to ship with the application,
it has to be in the users PATH at run time. It also has be in your
PATH at link time.

For static linking, the LIB file has to be found by the loader (linker).
The loader copies binary code from the LIB file into the application,
and the application can run without a supporting DLL file.
The specifics of how you tell the loader where to find files depend
upon your development environment.

-glenn