Re: 971024: Problem installing NetCDF library

>To: address@hidden
>From: Jose Antonio Gomez Tejedor <address@hidden>
>Subject: Problem installing NetCDF library

Hi Jose,

>  I am trying to install NetCDF library, but I am getting some errors when
> running configure script. The description of the error is the following:
>
> $ uname -a
>
> HP-UX hp715 B.10.20 A 9000/715 2005172090 two-user license
>
> $ cat VERSION
>
> 3.3.1
>
> (I have also tried the 3.4atd version, but I am getting the same error)
>
> $ sh ./configure
>
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for m4... m4
> checking for xlc... no
> checking for c89... c89
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... false
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... no
> configure: warning: Could not find working C++ compiler
> configure: warning: Setting CXX to the empty string
> configure: warning: The C++ interface will not be built
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... c89 -E
> checking for fort77... fort77
> checking for FORTRAN .F compiler...
> checking if FORTRAN compiler handles *.F files... yes
> checking for C-equivalent to FORTRAN routine "SUB"... nm:  conftest.o:
> cannot open
> configure: error: not found

You need to set some environment variables, before invoking the "configure"
script, as described in

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/other-builds.html#hpux-10

We have found that the following works for HP-UX 10 systems:

    CPPFLAGS='-D_HPUX_SOURCE -DNDEBUG'
    CC=c89
    CFLAGS=-O
    FC=fort77
    FFLAGS='-O3 -w'

After setting these environment variables, just remove the file
"config.cache" before invoking the "configure" script again, and your
"make all" should work fine.  You may still get a few compiler warnings,
but these can be ignored if the "make test" works.

--Russ