Re: FAN install problems

> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 06:32:18 -0500
> From: Gene Gamble <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden
> Subject: FAN install problems

Gene,

>    I tried your test and it did work - limits.h was in /usr/include. If
> you refer to the fanlog I previously sent you the compile line appears:
>
>       gcc -ansi -c -O -I.. -I/usr/include -I/usr/include d2nc.c
> which produced the messages .Using the above compile I just tried to
> compile the routine standalone. I could get it to compile if I modified
> the line to read:
>       gcc -ansi -c -O -I. -I.. -I/usr/include d2nc.c

This means that some file #included in angle brackets, such as

  #include <limits.h>

is getting included from the current directory instead of from standard
places.  So, for example, maybe there is a version of the file
"limits.h" in both the directory in which you are compiling and in
/usr/include/, the files are different, and the only way it works is to
use the local one with a "-I." option that says look in the current
directory first for all .h files included via angle brackets.  That
would be consistent with the above symptoms.

> I fiddled with the make file to get it to work but ran in to problems
> later on in the fanlib directory with the nasParse.y routine. The
> enclosed fanlog1 documents the results. Just out of curiosity I went
> ahead and compiled the remaining routines in the fanlib directory
> standalone using the above compile line - they all compiled except for
> nas.Parse.c I don't know enough about what the code is doing to try to
> fix the problem. If you have any help it would be appreciated. Thanks!

I think nasParse.c is generated automatically via the Makefile from
nasParse.y, so if you just delete or rename nasParse.c, it will get
generated again from nasParse.y, perhaps in a way that will work.  So
try renaming nasParse.c to "nasParse.c-", for example, and rerun the
make command to see if that gets around the problem.

--Russ