Re: NetCDF and fortran

> I am running in a PC, Windows95 environment.  My compiler is the Microsoft
> Developer Studio with the Fortran Power Station version 4.0.

The FORTRAN compiler version probably makes a difference.
The FORTRAN compiler we used to develop the Win32 support
was supplied by Digital, and it is version 5.0.
Note that Microsoft entered into some sort of agreement with
Digital such that Microsoft is out of the FORTRAN compiler business
and Digital has license to distribute the "Visual" development environment
and presumably use certain Microsoft trademarks, copyrighted material, etc.

The Digital compiler is quite good.

The fact that Microsoft doesn't consider FORTRAN programmers
a significant market should make you reconsider your choice of platform.

You don't mention what C (or C++) compiler you are using.
A C compiler is necessary to build the release, even if you
are accessing from FORTRAN.
We have used both Visual C++ 4.x and 5.x with success.

> I have tried for several days now to understand the instuctions for
> installing NETCDF support into my programming environment.  I have tried
> compiling the "conventional fortran" support supplied by davis (I got
> tons of warnings and unresolved externals, even after I fixed the include
> file line formats), and
> have tried to run the nmake command (although this is indicated to be for
> "visual" fortran).  The nmake command gives me an error "don't know how to
> make attr.m4").

You might consider sending us examples of the errors. This would give
us a starting point for helping you. This is especially important since
your programming environment is different than the one where we were working.

> I don't know if they will work, and if so were to put the C++ files
> supplied by Steve Simpson.

I don't understand this sentence.

> I am trying to get the data from the ARM site at Lamont, OK to use in my
> NSF sponsored research.  I have already spent two days trying to
> understand and install the NETCDF support, so I can access the data.  I
> would really appreciate some help, advice, and assistance in getting this
> done.

We are certainly willing to provide assistance.
Since we don't have the same FORTRAN compiler as you,
you should be aware that it may take more work and skill
than you want to spend. You should compare the cost of the
new compiler (about $300 ?) to this effort.

> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> Prof. Mark D. Schwartz, Chair        Phone:  (414) 229-3740 or 4866
> Department of Geography, Bolton 474  Fax:    (414) 229-3981
> P.O. Box 413                         Email:  address@hidden
> University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee  HPage: http://www.uwm.edu/~mds/index.html
> Milwaukee, WI  53201

You are welcome.