Re: 971016: netcdf version 2.65????

>To: address@hidden
>From: Joseph Levy <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF Lib.

Hi Joe,

>       My name is Joe Levy and I am a senior at University of Denver.
> This last summer, I had a fellowship at Pacific Northwest National
> Laboratory where I had used netCDF software.  My professors down here want
> me to continue with the work that I was doing at PNNL.  There is just one
> problem, we don't have the library for any netcdf commands.  It would be
> much appreciated if you could e-mail me an address of a web site where I
> could download the library for netcdf version 2.65.

The netCDF library is available from the netCDF web page, at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

As far as I know, there has never been a version 2.65.  The last few
versions were

   2.4.1   March 1996
   2.4.2   May 1996
   2.4.3   August 1996
   3.3     May 1997
   3.3.1   June 1997

The latest released version (3.3.1) uses the same file format as earlier
versions and supports the netCDF version 2 programming interfaces, as
well as new netCDF-3 interfaces for C and Fortran that have significant
advantages.  For more information about the netCDF-3 differences, see,
for example, the NetCDF2 C and Fortran transition guides, at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidec/guidec-20.html
and
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidef/guidef-20.html

You should be able to just recompile your programs that called netCDF-2
interfaces and link against the netCDF-3 library without making any
changes to your programs.

Please let us (address@hidden) know if you encounter problems.

--Russ