Re: 970904: how to convert datas from netcdf format to ieee format or text format

>To: address@hidden
>From: SONGYONGJIA <address@hidden>
>Subject: how to convert datas from netcdf format to ieee format or text format

Hi,

>     I have a file "sep1991.nc" of netcdf format, I want to convert it to
> ieee format or text format.
> How can I do it? what software can do it?

The netCDF format uses IEEE format for 32-bit floating point and 64-bit
double-precision values, but you need to access the data through calls
to one of the netCDF interfaces (available for C, Fortran, C++, perl,
Matlab, python, IDL, and soon Java).

If you just want to see the structure and values of the data in text
form, use the "ncdump" utility program, which is available as part of
the netCDF software distribution.  Documentation for ncdump is available
at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?ncdump

To get the software for the C, Fortran, and C++ libraries, see the
netCDF home page at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

or just grab the software.  The source is available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

or compiled binaries for some platfroms are available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/

The perl interface is available in source form from

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf-perl

but requires that the netCDF C library be installed first.

--Russ