970717: problems installing netcdf on sun ultra II

Dear Paramesh,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Enclosed please find the answers to your first two questions, i.e.,
>
> 1. standard output of the command "uname -a"
>
> 2. standard output and error output of the netCDF configure script.
>
> I am still unable to install.
> - -------------------------------------------------------
> Dr. Paramesh Banerjee
> Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology
> 33 Gen. Mahadeo Singh Road
> Dehra Dun 248001
> INDIA
> E-mail: address@hidden
> Ph: +91 135 623109/627387/624806 Ext.528
> FAX:+91 135 625212
> - -------------------------------------------------------
>
> standard o/p of uname -a
> SunOS WIHG 5.5.1 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
>

> sh configure
> reading configuration customizations
> checking for ranlib
> checking for fill value usage
> setting the installation prefix
> checking for type of machine
> checking for which
> checking how to run the C preprocessor
> configure: C preprocessor, `/lib/cpp', doesn't work; setting to `cpp'
> checking for /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
> checking for f77
> checking for neqn
> checking for tbl
> checking for install
> checking for makeinfo
> checking endianess
> checking type of netlong
> checking for XDR header-file
> checking XDR library
> checking for function prototypes
> checking for working const
> checking for variadic function support
> checking for strerror
> checking for package version
> creating config.status
> creating Makefile
> creating xdr/Makefile
> creating libsrc/Makefile
> creating fortran/Makefile
> creating ncgen/Makefile
> creating ncdump/Makefile
> creating nctest/Makefile
> creating doc/Makefile
> creating port/Makefile
> creating port/master.mk
> creating libsrc/netcdf.h
> cc: Cannot find /opt/SUNWspro/bin/ccfe
> conftest: No such file or directory

It appears that you have version 2 of the netCDF package.  Currently,
the netCDF package is at version 3.3.1.  I strongly suggest that you
install the latest release of the netCDF package, which is available at
the following URL:

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

See the files README and INSTALL in the distribution.

--------