970617: building netCDF on an HP-UX <something>

Bill,

[Russ asked me to answer you.]

In the above message, you wrote:

>   Thanks for your help in June. I could use a little more now. I'm trying to
> get the make file for "netcdf-3.3.1" to pass. The following are the output
> of the "configure", the "make" attempt and the corresponding lines in the
> "netcdf.h" file that are failing in the make attempt. Also below is our last
> correspondence.
>   Appreciate anything you can do.
>
>                                         Bill Hudson
> -----------------------
> checking for m4... (cached) m4
> checking for xlc... (cached) cc
> checking C compiler... works
> checking for how to make dependencies... false
> checking for CC... (cached) CC
> checking C++ compiler "CC"... works
> checking for fort77... no

It appears you don't have a Fortran compiler or don't want the Fortran
interface.  Is this true?

> checking for math library
> checking for -lc... (cached) no
> checking for -lm... (cached) yes
> checking for ar... (cached) ar
> checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) /lib/cpp
> checking for stdlib.h... (cached) no
> checking for sys/types.h... (cached) no
> checking for strerror... (cached) yes
> checking for ftruncate... (cached) yes
> checking for st_blksize in struct stat... (cached) yes
> checking whether cross-compiling... (cached) no
> checking for IEEE floating point format... no
> checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) no
> checking for size_t... (cached) yes
> checking for off_t... (cached) yes
> checking for ssize_t... (cached) yes
> checking for ptrdiff_t... (cached) no
> checking for uchar... (cached) no
> checking whether char is unsigned... (cached) no
> checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... (cached) yes
> checking size of short... (cached) 2
> checking size of int... (cached) 4
> checking size of long... (cached) 4
> checking size of float... (cached) 4
> checking size of double... (cached) 8
> checking size of off_t... (cached) 4
> checking size of size_t... (cached) 4
> checking for command to create manual-page index...
> checking binary distribution directory... /home/ftp/pub/binary/dummy_system
> creating ./config.status
> creating macros.make
> creating libsrc/ncconfig.h
> libsrc/ncconfig.h is unchanged
> creating fortran/netcdf-cpp.inc
> fortran/netcdf-cpp.inc is unchanged
>
> ----------------------
>
> Making `all' in directory /exthd/ftp/pub/gmt/netcdf-3.3/src/libsrc
>
>         cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG attr.c
> cc: "/usr/include/stddef.h", line 26: error 1642: Duplicate type specifier
> "int"
> : ignored.
> cc: "netcdf.h", line 178: warning 5: "const" will become a keyword.
> cc: "netcdf.h", line 178: error 1000: Unexpected symbol: "char".

It appears that your C compiler is non-standard.  As the INSTALL
document states, you must use a Standard C compiler.

I suggest trying the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make clean".

    3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    4.  Set the following environment variables to their indicated
        values (I'm assuming you're on an HP-UX system -- if not, then
        let me know):

        CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -D_HPUX_SOURCE'
        CC=c89
        CFLAGS=-O
        FC=fort77       # This will cause the Fortran interface to be built.
                        # If you don't have the "fort77" compiler, then
                        # set FC to the empty string.
        FFLAGS='-O -w'
        CXX=CC          # Set this only if you have the "CC" compiler.

    5.  Execute the configure script.
        Redirect standard output and standard error to a file.
        If an error occurs, then stop and send me the file.

    6.  Execute the command 'make'.
        Redirect standard output and standard error to a file.
        If an error occurs, then stop and send me the file.

    7.  Execute the command 'make test'.

--------