970602: compiling .F files with NAG f90

Steve,

In the above message, you wrote:

>    Trying to compile tmp.F gave me the same old
>     message, i.e.,:
>
>      /usr/local/bin/f90 -c tmp.F, gave me
>      "file with unknown suffix passed to ld"
>
>      But when I entered:
>
>      echo $?
>
>      "Variable syntax" was returned, so at this point I'm having trouble
>       determining the exit status. Any other way I can check for that?

Looks like you might be using csh(1) as your user-shell. csh(1) is
non-standard (i.e. non-POSIX) so I tend not to use it and leave
converting the POSIX-to-csh conversion as an exercise for the reader
:-).

Try the following:

    cat >conftest.h <<\EOF
/* C-style line comment */
#define J 1
EOF
    cat >conftest.F <<\EOF
#include "conftest.h"
#define N 5
/* C-style line comment */
        real r(N)
        stop N        /* C-style trailing comment */
        end
EOF
    /usr/local/bin/f90 -o conftest conftest.F
    echo $status
    rm conftest*

The "f90" line should fail and the "echo $status" line should print out
the status (which better be non-zero).

Please let me know what you discover.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>