970528: netcdf 3.3 with gcc

Kate,

In the above message, you wrote:

> There are actually two separate problems.  One is on FreeBSD during
> "nf_test -c" which boils down to the cast problem:
>
> > > ahab% more cast.c
> > > #include <stdio.h>
> > >
> > > main() {
> > >     double d = -2147483649.;
> > >     int i;
> > >     i = (int)d;
> > >     printf("%d  %lf\n", i, d);
> > > }

I assume that the above is a simplication of a problem you uncovered
when executing "nf_test -c".  Where in the nf_test code is this problem?

> FreeBSD also has problems in nc_test which I haven't sorted out, but
> assumed might be similar.

A problem in nc_test is more important than one in nf_test (at least for
the purpose of uncovering problems).  Would you please give more detail
on this.

> The other is on SunOS 4.1.3 with the old Sun f77 and gcc.  In the
> debugger it isn't clear what is going on, but it looks like some sort
> of memory tromping problem.  I thought you had decided not to worry
> about it?

I looked at the problem again (more closely) and decided that I didn't
understand it as well as I should.  It does have the smell of memory
tromping.

First things first, though.  Give me what you've got on the nc_test
problem.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>