Re: 970506: NetCDF development

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden
>Subject: NetCDF development

Hi Cyril,

> I am starting to work on porting our data sets over to the netCDF format and
> am working on 486 PC's running either Windows 3.1 or DOS.  I am using
> Microsoft's Visual C/C++ for a development system.
>
> I am having a hard time figuring out what libraries I should be downloading
> from your ftp site to use.  Do you have any suggestions?

General information about netCDF and announcements about versions are
available from our "Frequently Asked Questions" web page and our "What's
New with NetCDF" web page at:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html
and
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/whatsnew.html

Files in the FTP directory include:

    netcdf.tar.Z
        A compressed tar file of source code for the latest general release,
        version 2.4.3, August 1996.

    netcdf-3.3a.tar.Z
        A compressed tar file of the alpha (prerelease) version of the
        C-language-only part of netCDF-3, described in the NetCDF-3
        Prerelease document.

Binary distributions for some platforms are available from the directory
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/pub/binary.  A Win32 DLL for the
pre-beta version 3.3a of netCDF is available from

    ftp://ftp.jasco.co.jp/pub/NetCDF/Win32DLL/netcdf-3.3a-win32dll.tar.gz

We are very close to announcing the first general release of netCDF-3.
The differences between netCDF-2 and netCDF-3 are described in the
NetCDF-3 Prerelease document at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/prerelease.html

--Russ