Re: Perl5 vs Perl4

On Thu, 1 May 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> Robb-
>
>    I actually already made the fix.  I changed the first line in ldmfail
> to use Perl5 (/usr/local/bin/perl), instead of the default IRIX 5.3 Perl4
> (/usr/sbin/perl).
>    Do you see ANY reason why I should keep two versions of Perl around?

Noop,  all perl 4 scripts run on perl 5 unless there is some weird perl4
code. Some on the new decoders actually require perl 5.   They are going
to release perl 5.004 sometime soon.

Robb...

> Note that /usr/sbin/perl is Perl4 and that's what comes with the OS,
> and /usr/local/bin/perl is Perl5 that I built myself?
>
>            Thanks,
>                Paul

Software Engineer                          Univ. Corp for Atmospheric Research
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
"I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate...
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
"Time to die."  movie BladeRunner