970418: netCDF build on MSDOS using Microsoft Fortran 5.1

>From: "Konstantin V. Koshel" <address@hidden>

Konstantin,

>I have same problems with "Atlas of Surfase Marine Data 1994"
>NOAA NESDIS NODC on CD-ROM.

>I have installed NetCDF software for MSDOS from subdirectory
>NETCDF\MSDOS and SOFTWARE.

>Parameters of my computer are: IBM AT\Pentium,100 MHz,built-in
>math co-processor,DOS Memory 640K,Extended Memory 8Mb,Expanded
>Memory 8Mb.

Which version of MSDOS (or PCDOS) are you using?

>Files test.obj and uwmcdf.obj were created using Microsoft Fort-
>ran 5.1:

>c:\fortran\binb\fl /G2 /FPc87 /AL /c <file name>

>I have installed the Microsoft Fortran libraries to be compatible
>with C libraries.But,when I link all modules:

>         link /noe /nod
>                      test+uwmcdf+jackets+fslen
>                      test.exe
>                      list.map
>                      c:\fortran\lib\llibfor7.lib+
>                      c:\fortran\lib\llibc7.lib+
>                      c:\fortran\lib\xdr.lib+
>                      c:\fortran\lib\netcdf.lib;
>
>         (Note:I supply input to LINK in a responce file),
>         I have such errors:
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCPOPT' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCOPN' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCVID' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCAGTC' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCDDEF' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCAPTC' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCENDF' : unresolved external
>   test.obj(test.for) : error L2029: 'EXIT' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCVGT' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCVPT' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCDINQ' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCCLOS' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCDID' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCCRE' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCAGT' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCVDEF' : unresolved external
>   uwmcdf.obj(uwmcdf.for) : error L2029: 'NCSFIL' : unresolved external

This is indicating that the Fortran entry points for netCDF (defined
in jackets.obj) are not being found.   This may be caused by jackets.obj
being corrupted or empty.  You can grab a new copy from the
pub/netcdf/old/msdos directory of anonymous FTP from our FTP server
ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.  If/when you grab code from us, please make sure
that you do the transfers in binary mode.

>The actual location of the NetCDF include file 'netcdf.inc'is in the
>current directory,where are files 'test.for' and 'uwmcdf.for'.I don't
>edit the contents of your file 'netcdf.inc'.
>I can't read UWM/COADS array,using 'test.f' as an example.What I had
>to do?

The first thing is to get you a setup where you can successfully build
netCDF applications.  We can worry about accessing the data set after
that.

>I have not source files,containing all the C-callable NetCDF
>interfaces,and I have no opportunity to obtain the book
>"NetCDF User's Guide", published by the
>Unidata Program Center, University Corporation for Atmospheric
>Reserch (Rew et al.1993).

You can grab the netCDF source distribution from the pub/netcdf directory.
Unfortunately, the binary distribution of the netCDF libraries, jackets.obj,
etc. are for netCDF Version 2.3.2.  We no longer provide this version
of the package in the pub/netcdf directory.  If need be, I can put this
distribution out there for you to grab.  Please let me know what your
preference is.

>I would appreciate very much if you help me,because I am interested
>in the UWM/COADS data for my investigations.

Let's first get you an environment where you can build netCDF applications.
I think that you are very close to this, so it hopefully won't take a
lot of time.  After that, we can help you a little with the UWM/COADS
data access, but I don't think that you will have any problems with
it after your environment is setup.

>       Sinserely yours
>Konstantin V. Koshel

I look forward to hearing from you soon...