970418: INSTALLATIOn of netCDF

Dear Dr. Minkang Cheng,

In the above message, you wrote:

>  To whom it may help,
>
>  I try to install netCDF on a UNIX system, using FORTRAN compile.
>  I do not understand what you are talking,
>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>     1.2) Decide the values you want for the following symbols:
>
>       Symbol          Definition                      Default Value
>       -----           ----------                      -------------
>       CC              C compiler                      platform dependent
>       CPPFLAGS        C preprocessor options
>       CFLAGS          C compiler options              -O
>       FC              FORTRAN compiler                platform dependent
>       FFLAGS          FORTRAN compiler options        -O
>       CXX             C++ compiler                    platform dependent
>       CXXCPPFLAGS     C++ preprocessor options
>       CXXFLAGS        C++ compiler options
>
>          If you do not have a C++ compiler or do not want the C++
>          interface, then you should set the CXX macro to the empty string
>          (i.e. "").  This will cause the building, testing, and installation
>          of the C++ interface to be skipped.
>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>  Q: Where or How I can define CXX=" "? and select FC?
>      in configure scriopt?

As the INSTALL file says, these choices are given to the configure
script either as environment variables or as shell variables in the
CUSTOMIZE file.  Thus, a possible invocation scenario might be the
following (it assumes that the user shell is csh(1)):

    % setenv CPPFLAGS -DNDEBUG
    % setenv CC /bin/cc
    % setenv CFLAGS -O
    % setenv FC /bin/f77
    % setenv FFLAGS -O
    % setenv CXX /bin/CC
    % ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf >&! configure.log

>     1.3) If you want changes to the above to be somewhat permanent,
>          then edit them into the CUSTOMIZE file, which is in the same
>          directory as this file (the file itself will tell you how to
>          make the edits).  Otherwise, proceed with the next step.
>     ------------------------------------------------------------------
> Q: Where is the CUSTOMIZE file?

The CUSTOMIZE file is in the top-level source directory of the netCDF
package.

>     1.4) Go to the directory containing this file and invoke the
>          `configure' script -- specifying any changes to the above that
>          you have not made permanent in the CUSTOMIZE file (or that
>          you wish to override).  For example, if you want internal
>          consistency-checking, want to use gcc(1) as the C compiler, and
>          want to install the software in subdirectories of /usr/local,
>          then do the following:
>
>            If using csh(1) or tcsh(1):
>
>                % setenv CC gcc
>                % setenv CPPFLAGS
>                % ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
> Q: put such statement in `configure' script?

These parameters are given to the configure script as environment
variables or as shell variables in the CUSTOMIZE file.

Will all due respect, you appear to have relatively little experience
with the UNIX operating system.  I do not mean to be disrespecful -- I
simply wish to help you with your problem.  I strongly suggest that you
consult the manual page for your shell (e.g. "man csh") or a local UNIX
expert for information on environment and shell variables.

>     1.5) If an error occurs during the the execution of the `configure'
>          script, then you might try looking at the file `config.log'.
>          This file contains the output from standard error of tests
>          that the configure script runs in order to determine the
>          characteristics of your development environment.  Most messages
>          are the result of such tests, however, certain messages might
>          indicate a severe problem with your environment.  For example:
>
>            ld: Can't open: /usr/lib/crt1.o (No such file or directory)
>
>            gcc: installation problem, cannot exec as: No such file or \
>            directory
>
>        If messages like the above appear, then you will have to fix
>        your development environment before you can successfully
>        execute the `configure' script.  Before re-executing the
>        `configure' script, you should ensure that the file
>        `config.cache' does *not* exist.
>   -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Q: I got some error, but I don't know how to correct it in `configure' script,
>    for example, the config.log file is as
>
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure:1156: c89 -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
> cc-712 c89: ERROR in command line
>   File "/opt/ctl/CCtoollib/CCtoollib/lib,/opt/ctl/CCmathlib/CCmathlib/lib" is
> inaccessible or is not a directory.
> configure:1171: c89 -E -traditional-cpp  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
> cc-712 c89: ERROR in command line
>   File "/opt/ctl/CCtoollib/CCtoollib/lib,/opt/ctl/CCmathlib/CCmathlib/lib" is
> inaccessible or is not a directory.
> configure:1197: /lib/cpp  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
> configure:1684: c89 -c -O   conftest.c 1>&5
> cc-712 c89: ERROR in command line
>   File "/opt/ctl/CCtoollib/CCtoollib/lib,/opt/ctl/CCmathlib/CCmathlib/lib" is
> inaccessible or is not a directory.
> configure:1712: c89 -o conftest -O   conftest.c  1>&5
> cc-712 c89: ERROR in command line
>   File "/opt/ctl/CCtoollib/CCtoollib/lib,/opt/ctl/CCmathlib/CCmathlib/lib" is
> inaccessible or is not a directory.

The above messages indicate a *severe* problem with your compilation
environment (there is nothing wrong with the above command lines).
Consult your local systems administrator immediately.  Show them the
above messages.

Please keep me informed of your progress.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>