Re: 970417: including the netcdf fortran library

>To: address@hidden
>From: Samuel Richard Raisanen <address@hidden>
>Subject: including the netcdf fortran library

Hi Samuel,

>       I have downloaded and installed the netcdf library software.  I am
> having trouble getting the library correctly included.  I am trying to run
> the example.f file.  Upon compiling it I get the following error:
> undefined symbol (ncvrpt_, nccre_,...) first referenced in file
> (example.o).  I checked the include line (INCLUDE 'netcdf.inc') in the
> file example.f and it appears correct.  I have also tried to link
> libnetcdf.a with example.f at compile time, but I still get these errors.  I
> have also made sure that I installed the correct jacket as per the
> instructions in /fortran/README.  What am I missing?

The errors you are seeing are from the linker; they are not related to
the netcdf.inc include file, which you have evidently included properly.

Unless the netCDF library is installed in a standard directory where the
linker always looks, you must use the -L and -l options to link an
object file that uses the netCDF library. For example:

   f77 -o example example.o -L/usr/local/netcdf/lib -lnetcdf

Alternatively, you could specify an absolute pathname for the library:

   f77 -o example example.o -l/usr/local/netcdf/lib/libnetcdf.a

You should replace "/usr/local/netcdf/lib/" with wherever you really
installed the library, or where it was left after you built it.  The
build process first builds the C library, then adds the Fortran library
to it, so the library you built might be missing the Fortran part if you
interrupted the build before it finished.

Another way to tell how to invoke the Fortran compiler for netCDF
programs is to invoke "make clean test" in the netcdf src/fortran/
directory, and observe how the Fortran test program is built from the
make output.

--Russ