Re: 970319: problem with installing netcdf

>To: address@hidden
>From: Wolfgang Kappler <address@hidden>
>Subject: problem with installing netcdf

Hi Wolfgang,

> i have problems with installing netcdf.
> after following the INSTALL instructions, there where the following
> directories/files:
>
> ../netcdf/netcdf-3.3a
> /bin   /include  /lib  /man  /src
>
> except the directories   ../src  ../man
> there were the files:
>
> - -rwxr-x---        417664 Mar 19 15:02 bin/ncdump
> - -rwxr-x---        478496 Mar 19 15:02 bin/ncgen
> - -rw-r-----         25200 Mar 19 15:02 include/netcdf.h
> - -rw-r-----          4121 Mar 19 15:02 include/netcdf.inc
> - -rw-r-----        459064 Mar 19 15:02 lib/libnetcdf.a

It appears that your installation is complete.

> afterwards i set the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/home/kappler/netcdf/netcdf-3.3a
> in my HOME/.bashrc

I don't think that's actually necessary, unless it is specifically a GMT
requirement.  I use netCDF but don't have anything referring to it in my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  The executables I use, such as ncgen and ncdump, are
statically linked with the netCDF library, so they don't need to know
where a shared version of the library for dynamic linking is.

Also, if for some reason you need to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for GMT, it
would have to include a directory that contained a shared library with a
".so" extension, rather than a static library with a ".a" extension, so
the above would not work anyway.

There is really no advantage to making netCDF a shared library, so
unless GMT requires this, I would advise not adding its lib/ directory
to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  You can verify that GMT is not looking for a
shared netCDF library by using the "ldd" command on a GMT executable, to
show where it expects to find shared libraries.  If it doesn't say
anything about a netcdf library not found, then you don't need to modify
your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> is the installation completed now?

Yes.

> GMT was not abled to open the intern cdf-files (after calling pscoast)
> ../gmt3.0/lib/binned_*.cdf
>
> where could the error be
> what do i have to do

Sorry, but this may be a GMT question rather than a netCDF question.  I
don't know anything about "pscoast" or "binned_*.cdf".  GMT requires
netCDF, but is supported by its developers.  You might try the GMT
mailing list, address@hidden, which will go to 400 or so GMT
users.

--Russ