Re: 970216: HDFNOW--distributed HDF for Network of Workstations

>To: address@hidden
>From: Rich Signell <address@hidden>
>Subject: HDFNOW--distributed HDF for Network of Workstations (fwd)

Hi Rich,

> I guess you probably saw the following announcement about
> "distributed HDF".
>
> Any plans like this for NetCDF?

I did see the brief description, but was unable to tell what
"distributed HDF" meant from that announcement.  Does it mean a single
variable can be stored across multiple hosts?  Is the distribution
transparent to readers, or do they need to know where the pieces of a
distributed file are stored?

I'll have to look at the documentation and examples to figure out what
this form of distributed access adds.

We have some plans to write a distributed version of netCDF for the Java
interface using Java RMI, but I can't currently predict when that might
be available.

--Russ