970214: NetCDF make: Fatal error

Dear Hoyle Lee,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I'm a novice to try to install 'netCDF' package. I got an error message
> when I install this as follows:
>

> making `all' in directory /local/src/tracer/Plotplus/pplus-dist/netcdf/fortran
>

> [1]    Exit 1               make all >& log
> make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `5.m4'
> Current working directory /local/src/tracer/Plotplus/pplus-dist/netcdf/fortran
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `fortran/all'
>

> My operating system is:
>
> % uname -a
> SunOS tracer 5.5 Generic_103093-02 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20
>
> Would you let me what is wrong and how it can be fixed?

It appears that the variable OS was set prior to your running of the
`configure' script (this could have been done either in the eivironment
or in the CUSTOMIZE file).

I suggest the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Remove the file `config.cache'.

    3.  Ensure that the variable OS isn't set in either the environment
        or in the CUSTOMIZE file.

    4.  Execute the `configure' script.  Trap standard output in case
        something goes wrong.

    5.  If the above fails, then send me the trapped output and stop.

    6.  Execute the command `make'.  Trap standard output in case
        something goes wrong.

    7.  If the above fails, then send me the trapped output and stop.

    8.  Execute the command `make test'.  Trap standard output in case
        something goes wrong.

    9.  If the above fails, then send me the trapped output and stop.

    10. Execute the command `make install'.  Trap standard output in
        case something goes wrong.

    11. If the above fails, then send me the trapped output and stop.

    12. Execute the command `make clean'.

Please keep me apprised.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>