970131: installing netcdf; thank you

Dan,

In the above message you wrote:

> I appreciate your message from yesterday.  I will look in to our system
> installation of the c compiler.  You had mentioned that the standard
> output from the configure script is more useful that the info I sent.
>
> Here it is:

> checking for catman... (cached) catman
> checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> checking the installation prefix... /users/codiga/utils/netcdf/netcdf-2.4.3
> checking the installation exec-prefix...
> /users/codiga/utils/netcdf/netcdf-2.4.3
> checking for c89... (cached) cc
> checking type of operating system... hpux9
> checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) cc -E
> checking the C preprocessor... works
> checking for fort77... (cached) fort77
> checking for CC... no
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for yacc... no
> checking for bison... no

The above 2 lines indicate that the configure script couldn't locate a
yacc(1) utility.  This is bad because it means that you won't be able to
build the netCDF ncgen(1) utility.

Our HP-UX A.09.05 A 9000/715 system has /usr/bin/yacc.  Does yours?

This (together with the compiler problem) might indicate a general
problem with the configuration of your system.

> checking for neqn... (cached) neqn
> checking for tbl... (cached) tbl
> checking for ar... (cached) ar
> checking for makeinfo... no
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... cc -M
> checking for C position-independent-code compile-option... +z
> checking whether cross-compiling... (cached) no
> checking size of int... (cached) 4
> checking size of long... (cached) 4
> checking type of nclong... long
> checking endianess... big endian
> checking type of netlong... long
> checking type of internal netlong... long
> checking for XDR header-file... -I/usr/include/rpc
> checking for XDR library...
> checking for xdr_long in default library... yes
> checking XDR implementation... ok
> checking type pointed to by inline XDR function... netlong
> checking XDR structure xdr_ops for x_getint member... no
> checking which XDR module to use... xdrposix
> checking for function prototype... no
> checking for working const... checking for variadic function support... no
> checking for strerror... (cached) yes
> checking compiler options for IEEE arithmetic...
> checking for size of block buffer... 8192
> checking for float.h... (cached) yes
> checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
> checking C header file <stdlib.h> for function malloc()... declared
> checking for package version... 2.4
> checking binary distribution directory... /home/ftp/pub/binary/hp9000-hpux9
>
> configure: ERROR: The following variables need values:
>
> VARIABLE     DESCRIPTION                EXAMPLE
> --------     -------                    -------
> YACC         grammar compiler           /usr/bin/yacc
>
> The above variables may be set in the environment or in the file
> CUSTOMIZE.  Variables referring to executable programs needn't be set
> if the relevant directory is added to PATH.  In any case, ./configure
> should probably be rerun.  See file INSTALL for details.

> Thanks very much for any further advice you can give me based on this
> message.

I'll be out-of-town next week, so support might not be as good.  Please
respond, however, I'll do what I can to help you.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>