970110: netCDF in DOS

Roy,

In the above message you wrote:

>   I am interested in using netCDF for a project that I'm working on.
> I downloaded the version for MSDOS, but it isn't as recent as the
> version in ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z, which is
> version 2.4.3.  The MSDOS version that I downloaded is 2.3.2.  Is there
> a compiled version of netcdf-2.4.3 that will run on an MSDOS platform?

Sorry, but there isn't a netCDF 2.4.3 binary distribution for DOS
available.  (Building a DOS binary distribution is both painfull and
error-prone.)  Looking over the changes, however, it doesn't appear that
the newest version is necessary for DOS: almost all of the changes
relate to UNIX (e.g. changes to the configuration mechanism, link
options, etc.).  There were no bug fixes.  Therefore, I suggest you
simply use the 2.4.2 binary distribution.  (A list of the changes can be
found in the file CHANGES in the 2.4.3 distribution.)

> If not, then do you know what tools I would need to build the
> executables for MSDOS version 6.2...Microsoft C++ and Fortran compilers?
> Could I use Watcom's C++ and Fortran compilers to build the executables
> in MSDOS verson 6.2?

You could possibly use the above environment to build version 2.4.3
of the netCDF distribution on a DOS system.  I can't be more certain
because we don't have such an environment.

The file INSTALL specifies the DOS environment that we used to build
the netCDF package and how we did it.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>