Re: 961126: netCDF reading software

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (AUSTIN L. DOOLEY, PH.D.)
>Subject: netCDF reading software

Hi Austin,

> We're looking for a software package that will read the netCDF data
> format, extract the data, and output to a text file in the
> msdos/mswindows environment.  We've visited the web site list of
> available software, but everything seems to be too high-tech, including
> displaying and manipulating features, but nothing seems to be able to
> simply extract the data.
>
> Do you know of any software packages that would fit this need?

Yes, the netCDF software comes with a utility named "ncdump" that does
what you desire.  If you want to read about it online, see the
description in the netCDF User's Guide at

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guide_12.html#SEC95

Another utility that provides additional capabilities is the FAN utility
"nc2text", which is described with many examples at

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/fan_utils.html

ncdump is freely available as part of the netCDF software distribution,
and nc2text is freely available as part of the FAN package from

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/fan.tar.Z