Re: 961030: Makefile & Purify with NetCDF

>To: address@hidden
>From: Didier Rouquette <address@hidden>
>Subject: Makefile & Purify

Hi Didier,

> I'am quite new as NetCDF user.
> We are going to use NetCDF on PC under WINDOWS 3.11, WINDOWS NT3.5
> and WINDOWS NT4.
>
> As, may be, we will have trouble to do that, I try to
> compile the 2-4-3 SUN Sparc distribution with purify.
> Like that I will have a base test.
>
> I have seen that it is possible to call "make pure" in the
> differents directories but it doesn't seem to work.
> Also I haven't find the maniere to run the general makefile
> with this option.
>
> Could you help me?

Yes, the current "purify" and "PROGRAM.pure" targets in various
Makefiles were only set up by the authors to use in testing and
debugging, may not work together well, and may not work on all
platforms.

The only make targets intended for users are "clean", "all", "test",
"install", and "distclean".  There are other undocumented targets that
users may find useful, but we haven't tested them on multiple platforms.
We only have Purify installed on our Solaris 2.5 systems, so that's the
only system on which we've used it.

If you will only be using the C interface to netCDF, you may be
interested in the alpha (prerelease) version of the C-language-only part
of netCDF-3, called netcdf-3.1a, now available for downloading.

It has been ported to the Windows systems you mention, and both binary
and source releases are available.  For more information on this
version, please see the "What's New with NetCDF" document at

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/whatsnew.html

which contains more links describing the prerelease.

--Russ