Re: 961028: dx2ncdf converter

>To: address@hidden
>From: Jeff Scuba <address@hidden>
>Subject: dx2ncdf converter

Hi Jeff,

> I have had trouble locating a program to convert a Data Explorer format
> file to NetCDF format.  Do you know of such a converter?

No, sorry, I don't know of any such converter.

I suspect that it's not easy, in general, to convert a Data Explorer
file to a netCDF file, because the two formats assume different data
models.  The DX data model is richer and more complex than the netCDF
data model, so a set of conventions would be required to represent some
of the DX data characteristics.

For example, a variable defined on a tetrahedral mesh is supported by
the DX model, but representing this data in netCDF would require storing
the mesh connectivity data in several variables.

I'd suggest directing your question to the Data Explorer support
address:

   http://www.almaden.ibm.com/dx/DXMailForm.html

They may be able to suggest something.