Re: 961018: chromatography data in netCDF

>From: "Jaren Green" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Chromatography

Hi Jaren,

> I was told that something called the Analytical Instrument Association had
> chosed netCDF as the association standard for chromatography data.  Are you
> aware of this?  Do you know about this association?  I have a customer who
> cannot get his chromatography files into a .cdf format which makes me wonder
> if it really is a standard.  I hope you can help me.
>

> Sincerely,
> Jaren Green
> Marketing Director
> www.softshell.com

Here's the information I got about this from Rich Lisakowski, when he
used to run the committee that established some AIA standards:

    NetCDF is the vehicle adopted by the Analytical Instrument
    Association [AIA] to implement the Analytical Data Interchange
    Protocols [Andi Protocols] for chromatography [released in 1992] and
    mass spectrometry [released in 1994].  This is an ongoing effort
    which includes adapting Andi Protocols for new data file types. The
    Andi Protocols increase laboratory efficiency and productivity by
    facilitating the integration and use of data from multiple vendors'
    products.  For more information about the Andi Protocols and AIA
    contact (address@hidden).

I don't know much about the current status.  Occasionally I get a
question from someone who is evidently using these standards, but it
sounds like that may have standardized on an early version of the netCDF
software.  We are currently distributing netCDF version 2.4.3, but we
still use the same file format as netCDF version 1.0.